It’s February. You are so OVER your winter wardrobe. Let’s be honest. It’s freezing one day and then 65 degrees the next! How is a girl supposed to dress for weather like this? That is where the concept of transitional wardrobe dressing comes into play.
The weather yesterday was amazing but for dressing yourself it can sometimes be confusing. To me, 65 and sunny says SPRING! But, since the calendar still says February, it was the perfect opportunity to sport one of my new transitional looks. Leather and lace.
I found these Blank NYC faux leather leggings on one of my many shopping trips to Nordstrom rack. I already own another pair of leather type leggings but they are totally different. I love these because they are a matte leather look.
Leather is a fantastic transitional fabric because it can be paired with lighter weight fabrics to match the softer spring trends we are seeing. I paired these leggings with this darling lace top for a fun mix of edgy and feminine.
How did I come up with this transitional look? First things first, transitional dressing can be simplified by starting with a color palette. This is the time of the year to start re-introducing color back into your looks. But, you don’t want to go overboard because after all, it is still Winter.
The color palette
black, olive, denim, tan, cream, blush, camel, navy, grey, red, stripes, lace, muted tones, gold and rose gold. Add Pops of leopard with accessories is also a fun way to transition winter looks to have more personality.
What items are great for this transitional period? Here is a simplified checklist of items that are perfect for this period.
- A maxi cardi (long cardigan sweater) Look for lightweight knit fabrics in colors or prints. This pairs well with denim/pants now as an alternative to a coat or jacket when it is chilly. Wear over dresses in the spring.
- Basic white blouse. This is a staple item. Can be a classic or casual. Wear now layered with crew neck sweaters or under cropped pieces. In the spring, wear with printed short or tied in the front over a dress or fitted pencil skirt.
- Joggers. Modern take on a dress pant. Depending on the fabric they can be dressed up with a bootie or pump or dressed down with a sneaker. These are a fun alternative to weekend wear with a novelty t-shirt and the new white sneakers you need.
- Wide leg trouser pants. Dressed up in the winter. In spring, wear with a sandal and light colored blouse for fresh look. Make sure they are tailored to the correct shoe. (about a half inch above the floor.)
- Distressed boyfriend denim, black and white denim. These are the “all year round” kinda pieces.
- Long-line vests. Add a tailored touch to any look. Pair with light denim or white denim, or dresses in the Spring.
- White blazers, printed blazers or black blazers. These are all Staple item in my book. Wear them all year round. If you are looking for something more interesting, a printed blazer adds flare to dresses in spring colors or brings life to lighter colored bottoms.
- Leather anything. Jackets, leggings, coated pants. Stick to black or neutral colors. If you are wearing it with jeans now, pair it with floral dresses or spring time colored clothing for an play on edgy and feminine.
- Draped trench coat. This piece is a great now for chillier weather as a layering piece. Then, wear with tanks in the Spring as a statement piece.
- Perforated booties. Booties are an all year round kinda thing but sometimes feel too “hot” in the spring or summer. The new perforated look is a play on light and airy springtime vibes. Open toe booties are acceptable now as well.
- Olive green anorak. A unique alternative to a coat. Color is neutral to wear with lighter colors in the spring and a great layering piece while it is still chilly. Anorak style jackets cinch in your waist too to get that hourglass figure.
- Chambray/denim blouse. Feel free to wear this with everything INCLUDING denim. Try to mix with different washes of denim to add depth to your look. Finish with a pop of color with jewelry or a bag.
- Scarves. Add a light-weight or lighter colored scarf to darker colored clothing to brighten them up for spring.
Do not let this transitional period get you down in the fashion department! Play with what you have. Mix and match and see what kind of fun combos you can come up with..then take a pic and send it to me!
Until next Friday…